Cashews, M&M’s, and Ganache… oh my!
If you like a crunchy cookie, you’ll love these. It’s a bar cookie, but with more crunch and a fabulous “sweet and salty” effect. I added a little course sea salt to the top of mine, and I did the caramel topping instead of the ganache…. for my first batch.
The second batch, I did the recipe exactly as it was written. Both were very tasty, but I’d have to say that overall, I liked the caramel topping more than the ganache.
I know, I know. It’s ganache. But the other one was C.A.R.A.M.E.L.! Do I really need to explain? I mean, don’t get me wrong. I’m definitely a ganache fan. Love the stuff. But we’re talking about caramel here. It’s tough to top caramel, even with ganache.
OOOHHHH!!!! That’s EXACTLY what I’m going to do with then next batch… top the caramel with ganache! Why didn’t I think of that before? I mean, if they are that good separate, imagine how they’d taste together!
Oh my. I think I need to lay down now. I’m getting a bit overly excited here.
Give these M&M Cashew Pretzel Bars a try. And what the heck, try both toppings at the same time. Then tell me you aren’t in heaven…
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pretzels (I used the honey wheat pretzel rods from TJs cut into eighths)
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup whole cashews
- ½ cup M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, flour and baking powder in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Mix in chopped pretzels.
- Spread dough evenly into a greased 8×8-inch pan (or line the pan with parchment paper so the bars can be easily pulled out of the pan) and bake for 15 minutes at 350˚F or until lightly browned and set.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate chips and milk on High 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Spread ganache over cooled pretzel bars and top ganache evenly with cashews and M&Ms.
- Refrigerate for an hour or until ganache is set.
- Cut into 16 bars.
Photo Copyright & Recipe: CakeBatterAndBowl.com