Oh boy, oh boy! I have a special treat for you today! I get so excited when I come across a recipe like this one. It takes me back to my childhood and the time I spent in Germany as a nanny.
These Speculaas are exactly like the Christmas cookies I ate in Germany. I will be making these again for Christmas for sure! The combination of spices is so warm and comforting. Nothing like the regular cookies you get here in the states around the holidays. These are the real thing, guys! Christmas in a cookie! (Or which ever winter holiday you celebrate.) My condo smelled absolutely heavenly while these were baking. Even the neighbors asked as they were walking by, what I was baking.
If you’ve ever wanted to see Europe during the holidays, these Speculaas will at least give you the flavor of the season.
- 1½ cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (45 grams) almond flour/meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup (160 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Finely grated rind of 1 large lemon (outer yellow skin of lemon)
- 1 cup (80 grams) sliced or shaved almonds
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Flatten the dough into a round, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and form into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls.
- Place the balls of dough on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Then, using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, flatten each ball of dough to about ¼ inch thick (can also use a cookie stamp).
- Sprinkle each cookie with the shaved almonds.
- Bake for about 10 – 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 3½ dozen cookies.
Photo Copyright & Recipe: eCurry.com